So you think you would like to be an event planner. The business of event planning certainly has its rewards. However, I often find people tell me they want to be in event planner for the wrong reasons. They love going to social events and parties that are the talk of the town. And it’s because of their love for parties that they think they would make an excellent event planner. Well they might but that certainly is not the main reason that you should get in the business of event planning.
The Many Components to the Business of Event Planning
When people tell me they want to become an event planner because they love to socialize I usually tell them to stop and think about what’s involved with the business of event planning. Unfortunately, socializing is something you won’t be doing too much of while you’re working. Or if you are there’s probably an aspect of your job that you’re not looking after.
For someone that’s interested in the business of event planning there are many factors for them to review. Some of the characteristics of a typical event planner are;
- Strong organizational skills
- the ability to multitask (although I really hate that word)
- the ability to lead others
- and the ability to take direction themselves
To name just a few. Just looking at the characteristics above will tell you that if you’re in the business of event planning your typically one busy person. And if you do like to socialize or attend parties then perhaps the business of event planning is not for you. Quite often your working hours extend well into the evening as many of your clients functions will be taking place at these times.
The business of event planning can be very rewarding. For me, as I came from a hotel background, entering the event planning world was a natural fit. I was used to working under pressure and under strict deadlines to make sure that my events went off without a hitch. And coming from hotels budgeting became my second name. It’s not that you necessarily like budgeting rather it’s that you become very good at it because it’s a common task of your job. If you’re someone that enjoys the pressures of deadlines and you have the ability to make quick decisions on the fly, then the business of event planning just might be for you.
- Event Planning Degree – Yeah or Nay? (plananevent.org)
- Do You Use Event Planning Software (plananevent.org)
- Ever Wonder What Professional Event Planning Is like? (plananevent.org)
- Challenges for Event Planning Companies Today (plananevent.org)
- What Sets Top Event Planning Companies Apart from the Rest (plananevent.org)
- Use a Template to Help with Event Planning Ideas (plananevent.org)
- Today There Still Are Ways to Make Profits in the Event Planning Business (plananevent.org)