With US open tennis getting underway it’s always interesting to look at how much planning is done to make an event of this magnitude successful. Like any large events there is always an environmental impact. Many companies and associations today take this environmental impact seriously and often look at ways to reduce their impact. The U.S. Open has created an awareness campaign that is designed to promote environmental issues to US open fans. Alec Baldwin and Billie Jean King are the spokespeople for the awareness campaign. Keep your eye out as these two high-profile personalities hit the airwaves to inform us of the steps being taken.
U.S. Open tennis – By The Numbers
Even to a seasoned event planner these numbers will seem staggering. However putting on an event the size of the U.S. Open takes great skill and planning. Unfortunately the only time we will really notice the planning is if something goes horribly wrong. These event planners work tirelessly in the background ensuring that disasters do not happen (mother nature excluded of course).
Here are some interesting numbers and more specifically what the U.S. Open tennis is doing for its part to the environment:
- 70,000 tennis balls that will be used during the matches and practices will be donated to various community and youth organizations throughout the US,
- 985 gallons of food grease will be used for the production of bio diesel fuel
- 20,000 pounds of food will be donated to the community.
- 50 tons of food waste will be composted for landscape and farming uses
- all of the service ware in the food Village will be 100% compostable
- notepads will be printed on recycled paper
So while we are watching all of our favorite tennis stars in action don’t forget all of the organizing and execution that is going on behind the scenes. It’s through the efforts of these tireless organizers that you and I get to watch things go seamlessly (touch wood). And hats off to the U.S. Open tennis organizers that understand the impact that an event of this size can have on the environment. The steps that they have taken, not to mention the extra workload that I’m sure this has created, shows that they take this environmental impact seriously. The world is a better place for you and me and future generations because of the actions that conscientious corporate citizens (like the U.S. Open organization) are taking.
- Information for the “Green” Party Planner (plananevent.org)
- New York City Party Planners – Party Planning…Magnified (plananevent.org)